MAST CONTEST 2020
Sea Ocean Waste as Art
Each year, millions of tons of waste end up in the ocean. Birds, fish, amphibians, and marine mammals are dying from eating plastic garbage and from being entangled in floating debris. Chemical pollutants from the waste are ingested by fish and enter our food supply.
As a team, research the science around the environmental crisis caused by waste in the ocean. Then, create an artwork using waste materials to raise awareness about the issue. Finalists will be invited to present their artworks and engaging table displays about their research and creative process. A panel of judges will award great prizes to the top three exhibits in each age division.
HOW TO ENTER
Open to students grades 3 – 12 or equivalent ages.
Please note that there has been changes in dates and timeline.
FOR INQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT?MAST@HOUSTONMARITIME.ORG.
- Teams must consist of at least 2 and no more than 6 participants.
- Teams must submit a completed proposal form by June 20, 2020.
- Teams must have?at least one adult supervisor, such as a parent, teacher, and/or afterschool program leader. Supervisor(s) will ensure a safe and responsible learning process and act as a point of contact. He/she is also responsible for organizing transportation and chaperone duty on the day of the final presentation.
- Artwork must reflect the issue of waste in the ocean and connect the ocean, marine life, and the environment in its thinking.
- Artwork must be made with waste materials and must not contribute to further waste contamination. Materials can be recovered objects such as any household plastic product or waste.
- Artwork may be a sculpture, collage, or mural.
- Artwork should be 3′ x 3′ x 3′ maximum in size or equivalent in volume, and maximum weight of 45 lbs.
- Registration Form – complete form online here OR download pdf file here (by June 20, 2020)
- Proposal Form – download pdf file here (by July 5, 2020)
- Contest Announcement – download pdf file here – please distribute!
GUIDELINES AND RESOURCES
- Getting Started: Helpful Guide – download here
- Articles to Get You Started